Sunday, April 19, 2009

Oath of Muslim physicians


Bismillah

In the name of Allah, the most gracious and most merciful.

Praise be to Allah, the sustainer of his creations, the All- knowing.

Glory be to him, the Eternal, the All-pervading.

O Allah, thou art the only healer. I serve none but thee, and, as the instrument of…

Thy will, I will commit myself to thee.

I render this oath in thy holy name, and I undertake:

To be instrument of thy will and mercy, and, in all humbleness, to exercise justice, love and compassion for all thy creations:

To extend my hand of service to one and all, to the rich and to the poor, to friend and foe alike, regardless of race, religion and culture:

To hold human life as precious and scared, and, to protect and honor it at all times and under all circumstances in accordance to thy law:

To do my utmost to alleviate pain and misery, and to comfort and counsel human beings in sickness and in anxiety:

To respect the confidence and to guard the secrets of all my patients:

To maintain the dignity of the health care and to honor the teachers, students and members of my profession:

To strike in pursuit of knowledge in thy name for the benefit of mankind and, to uphold human honor and dignity:

To acquire the courage to admit my mistakes, mend my ways and forgive the wrongs of others:

To be ever conscious of my duty to Allah and his messenger (SAW) and to follow the percepts of Islam in private and in public:

O Allah, grant me the strength, patience and dedication to adhere to this oath at all times.