Sunday, February 22, 2009
As a kid, for me medicine was all about “healing” sick people- like magic! It was also about how smart doctors look and how much people “love” them- do you love doctors? Awww..really? That’s supper sweet. As my eyes opened wider, perception changed. Then it was about how much I can "help" people. It’s about how I can contribute to well being of my community. Now? Well, it’s also about how much I can use the name and fame to criticize politicians and to win a seat in parliament! Not a good idea though!
Perception remained same through out the carrier for most of us. Indeed, some talented doctors find innovative ways to achieve some other objectives-for instance, some turns into politics! As a medical student, what keeps changing with clinical rotations is the specialty we want to go in. In general, every single medical student would change their preferred field 3-4 times through out these 5 yrs. For me it’s always been Surgery. Thanks to “gray’s anatomy”
I thought being a surgeon was kinda cool. But in just a week after entering my radiology posting, I have started questioning my decision about being a surgeon. Still, I think surgery is cool because, surgeons simply walk cool- minus the blood and temper tantrums they throw at times!
I always thought radiology was boring and there is nothing much to do. However, after seeing how they work, I’m really impressed with them, and now considering going into radiology. I’ll tell you why. They are the most professionally working doctors- you know what I mean by professionally, right?
Even how they talk makes you admire them. When you hear them talking about the CT scan that you are holding in your hand, it really feel like that is the “most matter of fact thing” you’ve ever heard. With a big stupid smile on your face, you go back to your ward thinking how cool they are. This is how they impress you- all of you. More over, think of how they work. They rarely get their hands messed- unless he/she is an interventional radiologist. Even then they do things that other doctors, not even surgeons, can do.
Another impressive thing about being a radiologist is where they work. Yes! Those finely decorated rooms with dim lights of numerous colours. Elegant-looking flouroscopy rooms, CT or MRI suits with modern multimillion dollar gadgets. All are way better than the poorly maintained OT, wards, or clinics. It’s both comfortable and more conducive working environment- if your tired in the middle of the work, you can always take a nap on your desk- lighting is just perfect!
Saturday, February 14, 2009
- If I had known what it was going to be like, I would never have done it- sure to say this!
- You’ll study more than you ever have in ur life.
- Anatomy sucks. All of the bone names sound the same.
- Third year rotations will suck the life out u.
- You may discover early on that medicine isn’t for u-but keep going!
- Nurses will treat you badly, simply because u r a medical student.
- You’ll work with at least one attending physician who you’ll want to beat the shit out of.
- You’ll ask a stranger about the quality of their stools or details about their menses!
- You’ll be sleep deprived- or, u may sleep all ur free times to chase away ur depression!
- You will develop a thick skin. If you fail to do this, you’ll cry often.
- Public humiliation is very commonplace in medical training- need to get used to it!
- Surgeons are assholes. Take my word for it now- may b coz they do PR all the time!
- Rumors surrounding members of your class will spread faster than they did in high school.
- Telling local girls u meet at cafe that you’re a medical student doesn’t mean shit-They’ve been hearing that for years. Be more unique!
- You will meet lots of cool people out there, one of them might be your wife or husband.
- family and friends would ask you for medical opinion- even when you are in the first year!
A very wise man once told me, love is like chewing gum. when you first take it to your mouth it would taste so sweet. but as you go along chewing it, the sweetness would eventually disappear.soon a time comes where by you would have to chew it with all the power in your cheek muscles just to squeeze out a bit of pleasant taste from it. Even more, if u chew it longer it would even taste bad... (he told me more but will continue later)
Medical undergraduates are most humiliated and insulted bunch of people on earth- except for Politicians ofcoz. Most messed-up fact is that medical undergraduates have higher IQ as well as EQ than most of the politicians.
However, medical degree is designed in such a way that these sufficient minded young men and women become shrunken like a drying grape by the time they finish their undergraduate course and become House Officers- and this is just the beginning of the true human harassment and infinite humiliation.